Tag Archives: black mold effects

Possible Side Effects of Black Mold Exposure

Black moldBlack mold, which is sometimes referred to by others as mildew or even toxic mold, can have a lot of damaging health effects if not caught early.  The two main causes of black mold are moisture and a lack of ventilation.  These two, when occurring at the same time, will cause black mold to slowly develop.  If it is not caught early on in the growth of it, the mold will continue to spread across the surface that it is residing on, and become a lot bigger problem.

The reason that black mold causes issues is not so much of the mold itself, but when it feeds on the surfaces inside your home.  The mold grows and spreads by continually feeding on the surface.  The process of feeding causes a chemical known as VOCs to be released, which is harmful to humans and animals.  As noted before, it causes a lot of health issues, and here are some of those issues:

Respiratory Problems:  The release of the VOCs from black mold can cause a variety of respiratory problems for individuals who are exposed to black mold.  Labored breathing can be a side effect, as well as lung degeneration with long-term exposure.

Allergies: Black mold has also been linked to an increase in possible allergies in people.  Allergy symptoms include coughing, runny nose, sinus headaches, and itchy eyes.  If you usually don’t suffer from allergies, if you are experiencing allergies during seasons that you normally do not experience them, or if you are chronically experiencing allergies, then I would do the following two things.  First I would contact a medical professional and discuss with them your concerns about black mold exposure.  Then, I would also contact a professional to begin removing black mold from your home.  If you are already suffering symptoms, then you should do attempt to kill the black mold yourself.

Mold and Mildew Removal Tips

No matter how many times a fact is mentioned, some people still stand by and swear to their old and true cheap products. And the fact is, bleaching is no longer recommended for mold and mildew removal.

The reason is because bleach cannot penetrate non-porous surfaces where fungus (mold) spores generally hide. So even though it may look like the surface is clean on top, deep down below those spores are just waiting to resurface.

Still, there are those who are stubborn enough that they will always believe in the power of bleach (plus who can resist cheap!) for mold removal. It may be okay for some porous surfaces where you know for a fact your cleaner of choice can absorb below the surface area, but should always be used with great caution since its vapors are just as dangerous as black mold effects.

• First of all before you even open that bottle of bleach, you need to put on a pair of rubber gloves and a respiratory mask. And if your high sensitive to chemical vapors, you should wear a pair of goggles as well. Also, don’t forget to open the windows in the bathroom. You’ll need all of the fresh air that you can get!

• Now you can fill a gallon bucket with warm water and add one cup of bleach to the bucket.

• Next, dip an old scrub brush into the bleach solution and begin scrubbing the areas where the mold growth has occurred. Then rinse the brush with clean water and repeat this step until all of the mold has been removed from the surface. Keep in mind that you may need to repeat this step several times before you see any results.

• Once the surface looks clean, rinse it with clean water and do a final check to make sure that your mold and mildew removal task is complete. Then, dry the area with a clean rag and you’re done.