Getting Rid of Black Mold – Tips Worth Remembering

Black mold exposure is toxic and can cause various discomforts like nausea, vomiting or even fainting in severe instances. For those with respiratory problems, it can cause an allergic reaction which will trigger your condition; prolonged exposure to this type of fungi can even make the ailment worse. So, with all that was mentioned, it should be therefore clear that getting rid of black mold (or any other type of mold for that matter) should fall in your list of “house maintenance” priorities and if not at the top, at least close to it.

How big is your problem?

Mold infestation can be generally separated in three categories; small, medium, and pain in the neck. You will generally be able to handle small and medium jobs as this mainly involves relatively minute or averagely manageable spots getting affected. There are also a variety of cleaning agents and disinfectants that are specially formulated to deal with the problem. You can even create your own mold busting formula if you wish to do so.

Pain in the neck category however will be different as it is usually the result of neglect over the months or years. This means that since you ignored the problem for quite a while, it’s going to make you pay – a lot – as the typical cost of mold removal undertaken by experts can range anywhere from $500-$4000. For even bigger jobs, expect to pay through the nose.

Photo By: Satemkemet

What do you do to prevent this?

Well, ridding yourself of black mold and keeping them out of the house is actually not that difficult. The very first thing you would want to do would be to determine the source of the problem. Damp and dark areas for example should be eliminated, leaks plugged, and a dehumidifier is highly recommended. For medium cleanup jobs, remember to isolate the room you’ll be cleaning in order to prevent spores from spreading and infesting other areas of the house. Keep all of this in mind and you’ll find your home mold free in no time at all.

Home Made Mold Cleaning Solutions

There are a variety of mold cleaning solutions readily available in your home. For example, chlorine bleach is a great de-molder which is especially helpful when trying to remove mold buildup in grouting between tiles. All you need do is spray on chlorine bleach and leave it for up to an hour. Then, simply scrub the grouting with a small scrub-brush or toothbrush. The black mold should clean off right away.

Another good home remedy for cleaning small mold spots is either vinegar or lemon juice. Unlike chlorine bleach, which can be dangerous to the body should fumes be inhaled, these are both safe to handle and use. Simply mix equal parts of water and vinegar (or lemon juice), let it sit for a while and then wipe off with a cleaning rag. Remember to throw away the cleaning rag once you are done to eliminate the possibility of transporting mold spores to other places in your home.

If you have a problem with mold on your carpet, patio cushions or other furniture you may find that it is better to use borax.  You may not have this available in your pantry, however you can  usually find it tucked away on the supermarket shelves next to the laundry detergents. It is a great cleanser. You can either sprinkle it on and then vacuum it off after letting it sit for an hour, or you can make a paste out of borax and water to spread over the moldy material. Leave it on  for a while and then wipe it off with a damp rag.

There are also other helpful recipes for natural and safe mold removal treatments. Remember though, these home treatments are most effective for cleaning up smaller spots of mold around your home or to use on a regular basis as part of your routine kitchen, bathroom or other living area cleaning.

Comments are closed.