Mold and Mildew Removal Tips

No matter how many times a fact is mentioned, some people still stand by and swear to their old and true cheap products. And the fact is, bleaching is no longer recommended for mold and mildew removal.

The reason is because bleach cannot penetrate non-porous surfaces where fungus (mold) spores generally hide. So even though it may look like the surface is clean on top, deep down below those spores are just waiting to resurface.

Still, there are those who are stubborn enough that they will always believe in the power of bleach (plus who can resist cheap!) for mold removal. It may be okay for some porous surfaces where you know for a fact your cleaner of choice can absorb below the surface area, but should always be used with great caution since its vapors are just as dangerous as black mold effects.

• First of all before you even open that bottle of bleach, you need to put on a pair of rubber gloves and a respiratory mask. And if your high sensitive to chemical vapors, you should wear a pair of goggles as well. Also, don’t forget to open the windows in the bathroom. You’ll need all of the fresh air that you can get!

• Now you can fill a gallon bucket with warm water and add one cup of bleach to the bucket.

• Next, dip an old scrub brush into the bleach solution and begin scrubbing the areas where the mold growth has occurred. Then rinse the brush with clean water and repeat this step until all of the mold has been removed from the surface. Keep in mind that you may need to repeat this step several times before you see any results.

• Once the surface looks clean, rinse it with clean water and do a final check to make sure that your mold and mildew removal task is complete. Then, dry the area with a clean rag and you’re done.

Comments are closed.