Homes and Garden Journal

Everything Home and Garden Related

Cleaning Toxic Black Mold

If the homeowner has discovered that toxic black mold is a problem in their living space, there are certain steps that must be taken to ensure that it is cleaned properly. First and foremost, one must know exactly where this fungus is located before such treatment can begin. The next consideration is whether or not the individual can care for this toxic substance on his or her own. Cleaning toxic black mold involves a lot of precautionary work and the homeowner may not always be equipped to tackle all areas affected. This may be especially true when confined spaces or the heating and air conditioning units have been affected. Once these decisions have been made, the individual can begin to tackle the source of many health concerns.

What Will You Need to Clean Toxic Black Mold?

Whether the homeowner has opted to hire a professional or has taken the do it yourself approach, personal protective equipment is needed. These items not only protect the individual from inhalation of spores but can also aid in not spreading this substance. Clothing worn during these efforts should be removed before entering into any other locations. Each location must be properly sealed off and cleansed from one area to the next. The room can typically be sealed off with plastic and tape; duct work must also be covered. Heaters, air conditioners and other sources of air pressure should be shut off during the process.

Other Important Considerations

Toxic black mold clean up alone will not ensure that such an issue will not arise again. Treated areas should be inspected after the initial clean up. In addition to this, one must also promote measures to prevent the growth of such organisms in the future. This is critical to saving the homeowner time, money and possibly health concerns. The source of the moisture should be dealt with immediately. This may involve fixing leaks, investing in a dehumidifier and/or other products. Areas affected by the source of water should be thoroughly dried in a timely manner. Removing any excess water as soon as possible is always recommended.

Tagged as: , , ,

Comments are closed.